PCN (Primary Care Networks) are the current buzzword in the NHS. Normally, it is a collaboration of a group of practices based on location to provide services as per NHS England's requirements. Together the practices are able to employ staff to serve all of the practice population of the PCN. It means that there might be pharmacists, social prescribers, nurses, doctors who will look after all or some of our patients.
You can find out more from the following link from NHS England: NHS England PCN
The Central 2 Primary Care Network (PCN) is a group of 5 independent GP practices (River Place Group Practice, Elizabeth Avenue Group Practice, New North Health Centre, The Miller Practice and St Peter’s Street Medical Centre) in the centre of Islington, covering a population of around 43,000 residents.
We are 5 like-minded practices who have come together to increase the opportunities offered to our patients. Central 2 PCN practices are committed to continuity of care and working together in developing links with other PCNs in Islington, Islington GP Federation, community mental health, social care, community pharmacists, local hospitals and voluntary services to enable greater provision of personalised, coordinated and integrated health and social care for patients.
- We have been able to introduce and integrate additional roles like Pharmacists, Care Coordinators and Social Prescribing Link Workers into our primary care teams.
- We have been involved in innovative pilot programmes like paramedics working in the rapid response team. This has involved joint working with Whittington Health and London Ambulance Service.
- We have been working closely with Camden and Islington Mental Health Trust with the work around mental health transformation. We have helped to develop the current “CORE” mental health team.
- We are an active member of the Central Islington Locality leadership team, which involves developing relationships across the health and social care settings.
- We are linked with voluntary community sectors and work closely with Help on your door step.
- Commitment to provide sustainable continuity of care for our patients
- Working with other system partners to provide better integrated health and social care in the community
- Continue to foster a positive work environment that encourages respect for others and acceptance of difference
PCN Leadership Team:
- Clinical Director – Dr David Egerton (GP Partner at River Place Health Centre)
- Interim PCN Operational Lead – Vishnu Vallamkonda
PCN Additional Teams
The most prominent of shared services are the PCN Pharmacists. This is a group of pharmacists who provide medication reviews and work together with the practice GPs to look after your medications and necessary follow-ups. At our practice, the pharmacist looks after our Asthma and COPD patients. They also do medication reviews for patients who are on 10 or more medications.
Social Prescribing Link Workers
They look after our patients who need additional help, such as with social isolation, benefits.
We are recruiting for this new and emerging role. You may come across our care coordinators when they book you in for a long term condition review, such as for diabetes, asthma or COPD or even for flu jabs.